The Bible is a supernatural book filled with accounts of supernatural events. Dozens of miracles are recorded in the Bible. Each miracle points to a greater reality and reveals to us what God is like. In Community Kids, we have been learning about some of God's miracles recorded in the book of Joshua. Throughout Israel’s history, we see miracles that reveal the kind of God we serve: a God who is close; a God who sees, hears, and acts. Follow along at home through The Gospel Project At Home: God's Miracles Prove Who He Is for more resources designed to help you lead a weekly family devotional.
In his book Miracles, C.S. Lewis said, "The central miracle asserted by Christians is the Incarnation. They say that God became Man. Every other miracle prepares the way for this, or results from this." All of Scripture reveals the kind of God who comes close, who miraculously took on flesh and lived a perfect life among us. God the Son died in our place and rose from the dead. In His death, He conquered both sin and death. He came back to life and ascended to the right hand of the Father, where He lives to make intercession for us. (Heb. 7:25) We should be moved when we consider that not only do we have a God who hears us, but who sees us, lived among us, and lives to make intercession for us.
Through the miracle of Christ’s finished work, we can be forgiven and reconciled to God. We who were far off and without hope in this life have hope because of the miraculous birth, life, death, and resurrection of Jesus.
This week, pray and ask the God of miracles to move in the hearts of our kids as they hear the gospel proclaimed. Finally, say a prayer of thanksgiving to a miracle-working God who sees, hears, and acts for His glory and our good.
FAMILY TALKING POINTS
This is the big idea of how this week’s Bible story points to Jesus.
● Toddlers: God raised Jesus from the dead. Jesus is alive.
● Preschool: Jesus died on the cross for our sins, but He rose from the dead and is alive! God raised Jesus from the dead to prove He is the Son of God who rescues us from sin.
● Kids: Jesus died on the cross for our sins, but He didn’t stay dead. God was pleased with Jesus’ sacrifice and miraculously raised Jesus from the dead to prove He is the Son of God and salvation is found in Him.
BIG PICTURE QUESTION & ANSWER
This is an important biblical truth that your child will encounter each week of this unit.
● Toddlers: What is a miracle? A miracle is something that shows God’s power.
● Preschool: What is a miracle? A miracle is something God does that usually cannot be done.
● Kids: What is a miracle? A miracle is something God does that usually cannot be done so that we can know He is all-powerful.
This is a Bible verse that relates to what your child will encounter each week of this unit.
● Babies & Toddlers: God shows His strength to people. Psalm 77:14
● Older Preschool: You are the God who works wonders; you revealed your strength among the peoples. Psalm 77:14
● Kids: You are the God who works wonders; you revealed your strength among the peoples. Psalm 77:14
** Next week (10/22) We are introducing a new unit - A Pattern of Disobedience: The People Kept Sinning (Judges 2)